Saturday, August 4, 2012

Why Peter Rabbit Can't Get Into Mr. McGregor's Garden

I've been thinking about gardening again, or the fact that I don't but really, really wish I did. The sad reality is that I've a black thumb, and plants only come to me to die. I've many kills under my belt. Quite the assassin, really. But, you know, the compassionate kind. I care about you before I kill you. And, damn if I don't try my very best to love you as much as I can.

I suppose I want it so badly because it seems very therapeutic and fulfilling. I'm either surrounded by too much chaos or I'm dying from boredom. So, perhaps the nurturing effect of watching something as tiny as a seed grow into a full-grown plant may somehow reset the constant clashing of it all.

My neighbors (a young couple with a one-year-old baby boy), made haste and planted their garden in early spring and now it's overflowing with green growth. It's a modest garden, but I watched them work on it together, take care of it lovingly, and now are reaping the benefits. Oh, how I envy them, especially at dinner time when I really need an herb or a vegetable. That's when it mocks me from their backyard, waving its green limbs around like groupies at a concert.

While I know that being a gardener is one dream that will never come true, that won't stop me from traipsing on down to the store to buy packets of seeds, pots of plants, and bags of dirt in the springtime. (I've come to accept that even my deceased plants need new friends, so why not pay homage to those whom I've helped move on?) Hope springs eternal. Why stop the heart from doing what it does best?

One day I hope to have my own place with a beautifully lavish garden. Of course, that will have to come with a side of the very hot gardener because I sure won't be doing any of it. I mean, I hate working out in the hot sun. The humidity chokes me. The bugs are horrid. The leaves cut me like knives. There's so much dirt. Not to mention the worms and the insects. EEWW!!!

Ah, now I remember why I'm not a gardener. The grass is always greener when you don't have to roll around in it...

THE RUB: Rabbits are rampant around here, so it's been quite funny to watch my neighbors construct fences around their little gardens. They started out short and then got taller and taller and now it's almost shoulder-length. What? Are the rabbits around here flying vampire rabbits? Oh, Peter Rabbit, how I love of you so, but I do think you'll need to enlist the help of your more vibrant cousin, Bunnicula, the Vampire Rabbit, to get you into these gardens.