Saturday, December 31, 2016

Dear 2016

I think it's time for us to break up. We've been together for almost 365 days, and you've broken my heart more times than I'd like to admit. You've made me feel so helpless that there have been times I found myself sitting in the dark counting my own heartbeats because it's the only thing I could do. I've had to stifle my joy on many occasions because happy moments only brought on sad happy tears. I don't think I've cried this much in a year since I was a baby. Don't get me wrong, there were happy times too, and even times that I think we're going to be ok, but then you break my heart all over again. You haven't been the worst; you didn't teach me anything. You're not even a rebound; we didn't share pleasurable moments or painful secrets. You're like the storm I saw coming and couldn't escape. You kicked my butt, but I weathered it, and now it's time to move on. Let's be honest, 2016, if I don't break up with you first, you would eventually leave me. Quite frankly, I'd like to beat you to it because you deserve to know that even though you've hurt me, you haven't broken me. I'm looking forward to 2017. He might not be better. He might even be worse. But at least he won't be you. Goodbye, 2016. May the door hit you on the way out.