Sunday, January 22, 2017

One Person at a Time

Politics belong to the politicians. Protests belong to the protesters. Marches belong to the marchers. It's not for everyone. (It's not for me.) I searched a long time for my weapon of choice, and I am happy with my decision. I am a volunteer at women's shelters, at homeless shelters, at wherever they can use me. It's the frontlines; it's where I feel I can best affect change. It's not glorious, not full of powerful words or chants, or witty signs. It's hard, it's dirty, it's lonely, and you will have to beg for help & money more times than you'd like. But it's humbling, and in this life I have chosen to witness the humility of mankind. I've found that it exists deep down inside of us when we think we've nothing left to give. I see it every time I volunteer. We're all not politicians, we're all not protesters, we're all not marchers, but in the end, we do know where we belong and we do have to make a choice on how best we choose to fight for what we believe in.