I asked her what she thought about what is currently happening in this country. "I don't understand American (as in the language), so I don't know what's really going on." Lol! "Yeah," I agreed, "I don't understand American either." I tried to explain a bit of it to her, to which she explained carefully back to me, "This may be our country now, but it is not our land. We will always be guests."
My mother is an American citizen, living in a country, her country, where she will always feel like a guest. She remembers fleeing Laos, a country she was born into. She fears for me, "When are you going to get your American citizenship?"
My mother is an American citizen, living in a country, her country, where she will always feel like a guest. She remembers fleeing Laos, a country she was born into. She fears for me, "When are you going to get your American citizenship?"