Sunday, December 15, 2019

A Kind Reminder That We Are Not Alone

I thought I would follow up my post from this morning on mental health with a kind reminder for those of us who need it.

It is the holiday season. This is one of the hardest times of the year for everyone struggling with depression, anxiety, thoughts of suicide, panic attacks, loss, loneliness, self-esteem, anything that may have been there for a very long time that is causing us pain.

Loved ones: please listen, and just be present.

Those of us who think we are all alone: please seek help. If you can, try to open up to a loved one. If you cannot, please look for a professional. And try to remember that loved ones love us so much that they often times cannot say the right thing, which can make us feel even worse. They, like us, are not trained professionals.

I cannot find the words to express how hard it is to take that first step. When I was struggling through some very tough times, my pastor saw that I was in so much pain and asked me to seek help. It took him three times over the course of six months (of which included me being suicidal) before I finally did. I have a doctor, a therapist, and I even have a minister from the Stephen Ministries who are currently helping me. But I had to take that most important step to ask for help.

We are not alone. There is help.

-National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: Call 800-273-TALK (8255)
-Crisis Text Line: Text NAMI to 741-741
-National Domestic Violence Hotline: Call 800-799-SAFE (7233)
-National Sexual Assault Hotline: Call 800-656-HOPE (4673)
-Emergency: Call 911