Thursday, December 19, 2019

Rediscovering Books

This past year has been a year of retreat & self-reflection, which allowed me to rediscover my love for books again. Oddly, “Methland” by Nick Reding was one of my favorites. He’s a journalist who transplanted himself into Oelwein, Iowa at the epicenter of the rise of meth. It’s more than just a story about the despair & destruction of meth; it’s about the socioeconomics and politics of it. I wanted to understand the drug of my brother’s addiction. It wasn’t about compassion. It was about empowerment. Right now, I’m finishing “Einstein’s God” by Krista Tippett. If you’ve ever been intrigued by the relationship between science & religion, pick it up. I’ve always thought that God was the very first scientist and never understood why the two ideologies were so at odds. They both ask the same questions, they just have very different methods of getting to the truth. Tippett’s book is a conversation about just that.