I do not have the privilege of telling my children racism does not exist. I do not have the privilege of sending my children to school and not worrying about them being assaulted with racist remarks. I do not have the privilege of telling my children to turn the other cheek, to rise above it and to understand that racist people are humans too. That is not the privilege that I have.
The privilege I have is to tell my children when you hear a racist remark, you tell them that is racist. The privilege I have is to teach them to stand up against racism. The privilege I have is to hope that they are brave enough to do that, but to know that they may get hurt, physically and emotionally. The privilege I have is to live in a world where the color of my skin is demonized daily because of a virus that originated in a country that is inhabited by people who look like me. That is the privilege I have.
I am tired, though, and when I ask my children what do your friends do, those friends who do not look like you, when they hear these racist remarks said to you? It is nothing. They do nothing. That is the privilege they have.
Let’s be honest. My privilege is not the same as yours. I am no longer interested in whether or not you believe your privilege exists. I know mine does. I am asking you: How do you use your white privilege to help me? How do you use it to stand up against racism? How do you use it to effect positive change?
Please. I am waiting for you.